The Department of Occupational Therapy at UKZN is a forerunner in the fields community outreach, seating, groupwork, autism and rehabilitation. Join us in these exciting fields of development.
The WASP was developed in collaboration with experts in the field of vocational rehabilitation and assessment.
Wheelchair Seating Clinic
This clinic is in the concept stage.
It is envisaged that the clinic will be a specialised service, run on an appointment basis. It will be conducted in conjunction with occupational and/ or physiotherapists from the Department of Health and/ or Education (as the referring agency), the present wheelchair tender holders (as the supplier arm of the service), and the wheelchair user and a caregiver, where applicable.
Later the service will be extended to medical aids, as this will help to independently fund the service for those who do not have access to these kinds of services
The aim of the clinic will be:
- To reduce the incidence of pressure ulcers due to poor seating, the incorrect size and type of wheelchair and/ or cushion. A pressure mapping system has already been acquired to help with this assessment.
- To optimise function and independence through correct seating and provision of the correct equipment
- To prevent, as far as possible, progressive deformities caused by incorrect seating
- To maximise the provision of the correct equipment to minimise cost to the government, and in time, to medical aids.
- To train therapists, and other relevant people in the basic principles of good seating
The process will be as follows:
- The person to be referred will have already been assessed by the referring therapist
- The person must require specialised seating for a problem which cannot be addressed at local level
- The person will be assessed, various seating options will be trialed within the environment, and, wherever possible, a person will leave with the correct mobility device, depending on availability.
- The wheelchair user and/or caregiver will be trained in the maintenance involved in caring for the equipment correctly.
- Follow up will be negotiated with all concerned.